Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Samantha's Baptism and Family Weekend

Labor Day weekend was an extra special weekend. Months ago - before Samantha was even born, my sisters planned a trip to Charlotte to visit. I thought that if I had my two sisters (one who lives in a different country!) in town already, then I would make a family occasion out of it! I would have Samantha's baptism that weekend. So up came my parents fromFlorida. Unfortunately my brother, sis-in-law and family were not able to make it because they just had baby Luisa in July. Much too soon for her to be traveling. I hated that, but I knew that this was my big chance to have the majority of Samantha's family available on the same weekend. Since we started the party, Mary and Andy (Rick's sis and bro-in-law) asked if their daughter Emerson could be baptized on the same day. Of course! How special!

Debbie, Carsten and Maxx flew into Charlotte the Sunday before Labor Day weekend. They spent a night with us and then borrowed my car to drive down to Charleston, SC for a couple of days to look around. They came back on Wednesday and wegot to hang out for a couple of days before everybody else came into town. Maxx was teething and having a good ol' case of "the fear of strangers" so I didn't get to hold him much...here is one pic of us "torturing" our children. It was so funny!



On Friday, LeeAnn was able to join us! Carsten and Rick and the kids went over to Rick's parents place and LeeAnn, Debbie and I went out to eat, just us sisters. It was nice to be able to catch up, just the three of us.

On Saturday, my parents flew into town. It was a nice relaxing day until that evening when we hosted all of Rick's family and mine at our house for a pizza party. There was Rick's parents, sisters, spouses and children (15 people), Andy's parents, sister and fiance (4 more), then all of us (plus 9) - making a total of 28 people in our house and on our deck. Thank goodness it was a nice day! My house gets mighty small past a few people. It was very fun chaos.


Sunday was the big day for the baptism! The humidity broke and it wasn't as hot as it had been in Charlotte the past few weeks - it was actually in the 80s!

The baptism took place after the 12:30pm mass at St. Patrick's Cathedral. It was very special because it was a private service for just our family. Deacon Carlos Medina performed the baptism and did such a great job. It was a bit longer than most baptisms, but it was very meaningful. He took the time to explain why we do certain actions throughout the baptism and personalized the service for us and our family.

Samantha did alright through the baptism. She was a bit uneasy to begin with - I think tired. So she slept through the first half of it. Even for the most part when the poured the water over her head.

She woke up as we walked to the front of the church and wanted to "make a joyful noise" the rest of the time. We chose Rick's friend from elementary school, Marc Gignac, as Samantha's godfather and my sister, Debbie as godmother.





After the baptism, there was a party at Bubba Donna and Papa Fred's house...


Samantha's grandparents...


Emerson's grandparents...

We even had some friends come and celebrate with us! Brian, April, Brooke, Jason and Meredith. We consider our friends to be Samantha's extended family...

The "original Kobsiks"...


It was such a great party. It was so nice of Fred & Donna to host us all and Christine planned a food spread for us that would rival any fancy party. Samantha received so many special gifts. It was more than I could have asked for her celebration.

Since it was a holiday weekend, we had one more day with my family before they had to leave to go home. So on Monday, we went to downtown Charlotte and had lunch and then took a quick walk around the city.



Then Monday night we celebrated Maxx's one yearbirthday (one month early!)
can you tell that they are homemade? I should practice my icing skills...



He was quite dainty with the cupcake...all he did was poke his pointer finger into the icing. Hopefully this was a good warm-up for the real deal in October! He'll be ready to shove it all into his face!

I wish these weekends could happen more often. The next time we'll see my family is at Christmas in Fort Myers this year!

1 comment:

  1. What a great post! The pictures are fantastic. You three sisters look beautiful on your night out and the first pic of torturing the kids is so funny! So nice to share all of this fun with you and your family!

    ReplyDelete